Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Happy Birthday, Andy!

The best travel partner I know, Andy has been all over the 
world for work and pleasure (at the Hoover Dam, here).
Dear Hearts,

July 2nd is the birthday of Andrew William Bornhop: son of Rodney Sr. and Mary Louise; brother of Barbara, Gretchen, Mary, Rodney and Rosie; husband of me (the luckiest girl in the world); father of John, Andrew and Thomas; nephew, cousin, in-law, uncle and friend to scores more lucky folks. As my Uncle Bob said when he first met Andy, "His face is the map of Ireland!"

I met Andy in February of 1987 as we both were journalism majors writing for The Daily Titan, Cal State Fullerton's student newspaper. While his bright blue eyes and tall stature grabbed my eyes, it was his kindness that stole my heart.

He is a very interesting person and very interested in all things. A terrific trivia partner, a fantastic journalist, and a thoughtful and inquisitive man. His humor is the best, and my mom and he laughed their tails off plenty of times. When I was nine months pregnant with Thomas, I listened to the two of them throwing out suggested baby names. When Andy said, "How about Helmut?" mom burst into laughter that brought about tears and I nearly kicked them both out of the house.

Today, Andy works from home (Covid-19 style) for Kelley Blue Book writing car reviews. I love having him home all day, but he's missing the camaraderie of the office, understandably. He's become a very good gardner and has just begun harvesting his tomato crop. Every summer our yard is the brightest on the block with towering sunflowers (some are 10 feet tall!), and in the fall we have homegrown pumpkins on the porch.

Since the day I met him, Andy has inspired me with his faithfulness, work ethic and humility and I am so lucky to spend my life with him.

Happy Birthday, sweetheart, and may you have 68 more healthy ones, by the Aunt Joannie Sullivan Law of Longevity Aspiration of 2008.

God bless us and save us and keep us from harm.

Love, Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment